Saturday, September 10, 2005

Adult Swimcast!

However, my computer seems to be coughing. Jeff said some magic about the "hard drive". I kicked it a bit, didn't help, so now I'm giving it the weekend off. This is what I get for buying a Mexican-built computer. First it's the floppy drive not being plugged in when it was shipped, then the monitor, the power supply, and now the hard drive. And it's all uber-expensive to replace because it needs to be a Dell-whatever.

Next one, I'm building it myself and throwing Ubuntu or some other copyleft goodies on it.

2 Comments:

Blogger james said...

Expensive? Dude, hard drives are less a dollar per gigabyte! Memory is less than 10 cents per megabyte!

Think about how much pirated software you can put on a gigabyte of hard drive space. More than damn dollar's worth, to be sure.

CPU's are less than 100 dollars per GHz. The sheer volume of R&D that went into development of the P4 just fails to show through in this pricetag, in my opinion.

The real crooks in the computer industry, as you allude, are the programmers. Who pays $200 just for the operating system they need just to run their computer and feels justified in the expenditure? Who, I ask?!

The software industry's only saving grace is their inadequate copy protection. Without that, the spread of computing skills and knowlege would fall short of the common man.

Follow this link, and quit yer bellyachin'!

11:52 AM, September 10, 2005  
Blogger Justin said...

The Dell power supply (something that normally costs about $20) cost $80! Dell makes its money by shipping lousy computers for cheap, that need to be either replaced or repaired frequently. RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX the damn thing was broken. The unit can be the cheapest thing in the world, but if it doesn't last, it's not worth the money. I'm not asking for a product that lasts forever, but out of all the computers I've owned, this is the only one that has disappointed me with its durability.

You're right about the software thing, though. That's the chief reason I want to switch to Linux.

5:19 PM, September 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home